A cluttered closet can be overwhelming and make it difficult to find the items you need. It can also be frustrating to try and fit everything into a space that feels too small. However, with a little bit of planning and organization, you can turn a cluttered closet into a functional and efficient space. In this article, we’ll go over some tips and tricks on how to organize a cluttered closet and make the most of the space you have.
Read Also: 12 Cheap Ways to Spruce Up Your Home
Table of Contents
1. Create a Plan
Before you start organizing your closet, it’s important to have a plan in mind. This will help you remain focused and make the process more efficient. Here are some things to consider as you create your plan:
- Set a goal for your closet: What do you want your closet to look like when you’re finished? Do you want it to be completely organized, or just more functional? Setting a goal will help you stay focused and motivated as you work.
- Make a list of what you need: Do you need more hangers, storage bins, or shelving? Make a list of the items you need to help you get organized.
- Set aside time: Organizing a closet can take some time, so make sure you set aside enough time to get the job done. You may need to work on it in stages if you don’t have a lot of time all at once.
2. Sort Through Your Items
Now it’s time to begin sorting through your things. This can be a daunting task, but it’s an important step in the process. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Take everything out of the closet: This might seem like a daunting task, but it’s the only way to really see what you have and decide what needs to stay and what can go. As you take each item out of the closet, ask yourself if you really need it or if you’ve used it in the past year. If the answer is no, consider donating or tossing it.
- Sort items into piles: Start by sorting your items into piles based on what you want to keep, what you want to donate, and what you want to throw away.
- Divide and Conquer: Once you’ve sorted through everything and have a pile of items you want to keep, it’s time to divide them into categories. This could include clothes, shoes, bags, and accessories. Dividing your items into categories will make it easier to put them back in the closet and keep them organized. It can also help you to see if you have too much of any one type of item, such as too many pairs of shoes or too many bags.
3. Invest in Storage Solutions
Now that you’ve sorted through your items and decided what to keep, it’s time to find storage solutions. Here are some options to consider:
- Hangers: Invest in good-quality hangers to help keep your clothes organized and wrinkle-free. Consider using matching hangers for a cohesive look.
- Shelving: If you have space, consider adding shelving to your closet to create more storage. This can be especially useful for storing shoes and other smaller items.
- Storage bins: Storage bins are a great way to organize smaller items, such as socks and underwear. Look for bins with lids to keep everything contained and dust-free.
4. Make Use of Vertical Space
In addition to using horizontal space, don’t forget to utilize the vertical space in your closet as well. Here are some ways to do this:
- Use hanging organizers: Hanging organizers, such as over-the-door organizers or hanging shelves, can provide additional storage space and make it easy to see and access your items.
- Use hanging shoe organizers: Shoe organizers that hang over the door or on the back of the closet door can provide additional storage space for shoes and other small items.
- Use wall-mounted shelves: If you have empty wall space in your closet, consider installing shelves to create additional storage. This can be especially useful for storing bags, hats, and other smaller items.
5. Consider Using Storage Containers
Storage containers can be a helpful way to organize smaller items, such as socks and underwear, and keep them contained and dust-free. Look for containers with lids and clear fronts so you can easily see what’s inside. You can also label the containers to make it even easier to find what you’re looking for.
6. Consider Adding a Dresser
If you don’t have a lot of shelves or hanging space in your closet, consider adding a dresser to provide additional storage. A dresser can be especially useful for storing folded clothes, such as t-shirts and jeans. Just be sure to leave enough space in your closet for hanging clothes as well.
7. Make Use of Under-Bed Storage
If you have a bed with space under it, consider using under-bed storage containers to store items such as out-of-season clothes or extra bedding. These containers are usually low profile and can easily slide under the bed, making them a convenient and space-saving storage solution.
8. Maintain Your Closet
Once you’ve organized your closet, it’s important to keep it tidy. Here are some tips to help you maintain an organized closet:
- Put things back where they belong: As you use items from your closet, be sure to put them back where they belong. This will help keep your closet organized and make it easier to find things when you need them.
- Use the “one in, one out” rule: If you buy a new item, consider getting rid of an old one to keep your closet from getting cluttered again. This will help you maintain a balance and keep your closet organized.
- Regularly go through your closet: Set aside some time every few months to go through your closet and get rid of anything you no longer need or wear. This will help keep your closet from getting cluttered again.
Organizing a cluttered closet may seem like a daunting task, but with a little bit of time and effort, you can transform it into a functional and organized space. By taking everything out, dividing your items into categories, investing in storage solutions, utilizing vertical space, and keeping it tidy, you can create a closet that works for you and your needs. Not only will an organized closet make it easier to find what you’re looking for, but it will also make getting dressed in the morning a much more enjoyable experience.